“Now, I know you all met Law briefly when he came in for his entrance exams, but let’s refresh some memories. Law, would you prefer to tell the class a fact about yourself or solve a riddle on the spot?”
Luckily, Law was already prepared for Mr. Al-Shehri’s sense of humour after his exam day which, of course, he had done very well on. There were some areas he was certainly weaker on, but the exhilaration of having his brain well and truly tested was something he relished.
Continue reading SOL: Generation Two – Chapter Seven
I’ve been so productive with sims and managing to get a chapter out a week, but I’m not sure how much longer that will continue. We shall see! Keeping this up means I can’t really work on other projects though, so it may return to a fortnightly posting…
“What’s the point of this film again?” Kane asked, stretching out his legs with a contented sigh. Jasmine tutted and reached behind Law to flick Kane’s ear, who made a sound of protest but didn’t bother flinching away from her.
“It’s a classic!” Jasmine said defensively. “And the point is that they have to stop Sauron!”
“By throwing a ring into a volcano?” Kane muttered doubtfully. Law twisted around to glare at him and he mimed zipping his mouth shut, but as soon as the grand reveal of the elves’ home, he glanced at his son with a raised eyebrow. Law watched with eyes wide, enthralled, absently biting on his thumb nail as he waited to see if Frodo would survive his stabbing.
Continue reading SOL: Generation Two – Chapter Six
Kane brushed the crumbs from his lap as he settled into the armchair in the living space behind the kitchen area, where he and Elspeth had spent the two previous hours going over business terms until Kane’s head was ringing. He thought he understood most of it, but there was always a difference in learning something in theory and then putting it into practice. Elspeth had told him, with no room for argument, that she wouldn’t consider him ready to pass an exam until she had put him through several scenarios to test his newfound knowledge. The idea of an exam flared anxiety in his stomach but he decided he had faith in Elspeth to know when he was ready.
Elspeth had popped out briefly to greet Eilidh from her next-door playdate, and happily she flung herself at Law. Kane snorted as his son stumbled back in surprise, but he returned the hug with gusto.
“Lee!” Law grinned against her cheek which was smushed against him. Though he could say her name properly now, he stuck to the nickname.
Continue reading SOL: Generation Two – Chapter Five
I was tagged by the forever lovely Jowita! Thanks so much for thinking of me 🙂
- Pick a character you’ve created.
- Fill in the questions/statements as if you were that character.
- Tag at least four people to do this meme.
I’ve already been tagged in this a few times over on tumblr, so if you’re interested there’s a post for Dash, Kaofthex, and Kane already.
I also have a few bonus posts: a map of the universe from the Quest, (there’s a lot of naming theme lore in there that I can tell you about if you’re interested) and a mood board for Dash.
I’m going to do Lukas Smith for this meme, just to remind you guys that he’s still kicking about… somewhere 😉
- What is your name? Lukas, uh, Smith.
- Do you know why you were named that? My mother always liked the spelling, I think. I always thought my brother had a way cooler name – Ayr – and I wanted his.
- Single or taken? Single. There’s too much science to do to find a partner.
- Stop being a Mary Sue! *laughing darkly* Ah, I’m most certainly not, friend.
- What’s your eye color? Hmm, is ‘glowing’ a colour? They’ve certainly changed since – well. Never mind.
- How about hair color? A dark brown/red.
- Have you any family members? No one with us anymore. That is all I shall say about it.
- Oh, how about pets? No, I’ve never led the lifestyle that allows me to have a pet.
- That’s cool, I guess. Now tell me something you don’t like? Hah, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Creatures that go bump in the night…
- Do you have any activities/hobbies that you like to do? Sadly I have no time for hobbies. My time is spent on my research.
- Have you ever hurt anyone in any way before? Please, don’t ask me about that. Or hold it against me, should you learn about it. I – I will always carry my guilt.
- Ever… killed anyone before? *chokes up* My… my actions have killed people, yes.
- What kind of animal are you? *laughing humourlessly* a bat, perhaps?
- Name your worst weaknesses. I’m a coward, through and through.
- Do you look up to anyone at all? My brothers, or the memory of them, anyway.
- Are you straight, gay or bisexual? I am straight, yes. Though I’ve come to believe sexuality sometimes is more fluid than we first think.
- Do you go to school? No, though I teach at a university.
- Ever want to marry and have kids one day? *wistfully* a dream I will never fulfill.
- Do you have fangirls/fanboys? No. People who support my work, yes, but they aren’t “fangirls”.
- What are you most afraid of? Again, those creatures that go bump in the night… We all should fear them.
- What do you usually wear? Whatever is smart, comfortable, and appropriate. Dress like you belong and you’ve done half the battle.
- What’s one food that tempts you? A pint of a certain liquid, if I’m honest..
- Am I annoying you? No, though I’m surprised I am being so open.
- Well, it’s not over! Please, go on.
- What class are you (low class, middle class, high class)? I suppose middle. I’m fairly well off, thanks to various investments and my research job.
- How many friends do you have? No one all that close. It.. It could be dangerous.
- What are your thoughts on pie? I don’t eat a whole lot these days.
- Favorite drink? … are you trying to make me say something?
- What’s your favorite place? I really loved Italy, which is where my paternal great-grandfather was from, and also Spain, where my father was born and raised. I suppose I felt a strange connection to those lands when I visited trying to find myself.
- Are you interested in anyone? I’m interested in science. … I know how that sounds, believe me.
- That was a stupid question. Not at all.
- Would you rather swim in a lake or the ocean? Oh, hmm. I’m not sure. Each would be an enjoyable day.
- What’s your type? It’s been so long since I’ve thought about that, I couldn’t tell you.
- Any fetishes? Well, there is one I shan’t disclose.
- Camping or indoors? Camping. The sight of the stars always astounds and inspires me.
I’m going to tweak this a little bit – I think a lot of people have been tagged by Jowita as I was! – so if you don’t want to do this (again), maybe have a look at the mood board I linked above, and have a go for one of your characters?
And I’m going to tag you back, Jowita, in case you would like to try a mood board! Also legendofsim, raymondsanti, and heatherfeather!
A few things for this chapter:
Eilidh is pronounced A-lee. It’s a Scottish gaelic name.
Tory is a nickname for the Conservatives political party, which are right wing.
And finally Scottish grades, at least when Kane was in school, went from Standard Grades (15-16 year olds, with three levels going lowest to highest: Foundation, General, and Credit) to Highers (17 yo) and then Advanced Highers (18 yo). Also in Scotland you can leave education at 16, and leave home with parental permission.
“Can you believe it?” Kane marvelled, reaching over to poke Law’s nose, causing him to giggle and try to swat Kane’s fingers away. “Two! I think I get it when everyone else asks where the time goes…”
Jasmine’s laughter entwined with Law’s as she watched Kane play with him. He was a sweet kid and it wasn’t hard to like him, and she wondered if he’d be as popular in school. “Are you going to throw him a party?” she asked, leaning over to the table to pick up a pencil and a small notepad she used to write her shopping list in.
Kane screwed up his face. “I was just planning on going out to the park. Having a party is a waste of money when we won’t remember it anyway. Right?”
Jasmine shrugged, hiding her smile. “I don’t remember mine, so I guess not.”
Continue reading SOL: Generation Two – Chapter Four
I was nominated by the always wonderful and incredibly talented Jowita – now I know you all read her story neverdoitagain (I’m fairly certain anyway, if not you should do!) so I’m sure no one is surprised when I say that she is such a big part of this corner of the simlit community and has really made me glad I chose to post on wordpress.
Continue reading Sunshine Blogger Award
“Oh my Gosh!” Jasmine’s shrill voice cut through the anxious internal monologue in Kane’s brain as he realised how underwhelming his kitchen/living space was, but when he turned to Jasmine she looked as if she’d never seen anything nicer.
“This is cuuuute,” she sang, her face still a picture of astonishment. Kane wetted his lips and looked out over his kitchen with its scarred and crumby counter, the overflowing bin, and an empty water bottle he had yet to get round to throwing into the recycling.
“Really?” he asked dubiously, voice little more than a mutter. Jas beamed and giggled.
“Oh, you should see the accommodation I’ve been living in for the past year. This is swish! Oooh, can I see my room?”
“It’s still got baby stuff – sure,” Kane finished with, as Jas had already spun out of the room.
Continue reading SOL: Generation Two – Chapter Three